The questions everyone asks about pirates and privateers
Here's the question/answer you are looking for
Question of weapons (07.28.2015): Hello! I would like to know what were the weapons of pirates in the 17th,
18th, and 19th centuries. Were they firearms and white arms? A:
The pirates used:
- Flintlock pistols, which could also serve as club once they had fired.
- Daggers, knives, and cutlasses, which are easy to conceal or slip into the belt.
- The boarding axe was used to cut halyards, sheets, and spars on deck.
- The cutlass, a weapon of pirates with a rather short blade, sharp and slightly curved.
- The musket was used by pirates who remained perched high on the tops for a collision to take away enemy leaders. Once the leaders were dead, the crew quickly lost morale.
- Musket flare gun (or blunderbuss) to shoot "in the crowd" without the need to target.
- Fid, which looked like an ice pick.